Who To Inform

There are several people who should be informed when someone passes away, the following people should be informed if relevant:

Relatives and friends



The deceased’s Tax Office

National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self-employed (to cancel payments)

Landlord or Local Authority if the deceased rented their property

Local Authority if the deceased paid Council Tax, had a parking permit, was issued with a Blue Badge for disabled parking, received social services help, or attended day care

Any private organisation/agency providing home help

General insurance companies – contents, car, travel, medical etc

Pension providers/life insurance companies

Bank/building society

Mortgage provider

Hire purchase or loan companies

Credit card providers/store cards

Utility companies, if accounts were in the deceased’s name

TV/Internet companies with which the deceased had subscriptions

Royal Mail, if mail needs re-directing

UK Passport Agency, to return and cancel a passport

Social groups to which the deceased belonged


Creditors – anyone to whom the deceased owed money

Debtors – anyone that owed the deceased money


Things that may need returned.


Order books/benefits


Driving licence

Registration documents for the deceased’s car (if necessary)

Season ticket and membership cards of any clubs or associations, as a refund may be due

Benefit/pension books and any unused cheques/vouchers should be returned to the benefits office

Library books and tickets

National Insurance papers